National FFA Week is upon us, and, across the nation, over 620,000 FFA members will be celebrating the largest youth run organization in the world. In Indiana, the 7 State Officers will be traveling across the state to celebrate with as many chapters and members as possible. Check out what the State Officers are going to be up to this week!
1) What are you looking forward to most during National FFA Week?
· Kenzie: One of the biggest aspects of FFA Week that I am looking forward to is getting to travel southwest Indiana, which is easily the part of the state that I am least familiar with. I also have a lot of fun events that I get to attend and I am very excited to meet more members from District X and part of District XI!
· Annalee: I am looking forward to meeting many new members and traveling the state of Indiana.
· Brett: I’m most looking forward to meeting as many amazing FFA members as possible! Indiana FFA members are so passionate and I love to see the great things they are doing in their chapters and communities.
· Mason: I am looking forward to visiting with North White and New Prairie the most. These two chapters are both reinstalling FFA into their schools. I hope to be able to inspire some students to join this great organization, because we all know they will be hooked once they join!
· Courtney: I’m really looking forward to traveling around the eastern part of the state and getting to know students from chapters that I’m not really familiar with.
· Joshua: What I am most looking forward to is finding those schools that remind me so much of my home school, because some of my greatest memories were made in the classroom and I know other chapters are the same way!
· Sean: Spending time with our new and potential FFA chapters and getting them excited about FFA
2) What is one of your favorite memories from past National FFA Weeks?
· K: One of my favorite memories from FFA Week in high school was our Faculty breakfast that we put on every year. Although it meant waking up very early, I remember always having tons of fun preparing food and serving the Benton Central faculty, which set the day off to a great start.
· A: I always enjoyed visiting the nursing home and giving the elderly cookies.
· B: One of my favorite FFA Week memories has to Official Dress Day at Columbia City High School. You would get crazy looks in the hallways but it was a great way to explain what FFA was all about!
· M: My chapter always ended FFA Week with a Hog Roast and Dance. This was always the highlight of my FFA Weeks. One memory from the Hog Roast and Dance was when my friend, Austin, and I “taught” our fellow FFA members how to dance. I still laugh when I think about how fun it was!
· C: My home chapter always has a petting zoo during National FFA Week that’s always a hit with the elementary and high school students. Normally it runs smoothly without any problems. Last year, however, we had a donkey escape from the shop and run through the hall towards the cafeteria. The hilarious part is the security cameras caught it on tape and it was shared among the teachers during the days following, as well as on social media.
· J: My favorite memory from National FFA Week happened last year while I was at Purdue. My Ag Education classmates and I missed being active in FFA so much that we made our own National FFA Week with dress up days and events during the week! I had such a great time that I could never forget to celebrate National FFA Week.
· S: My favorite FFA week memory isn’t necessarily something specific. My chapter always packed the entire week full of activities and so I loved spending all of that time with my friends having a blast celebrating FFA.
3) What type of activities will you be participating in this coming week?
· K: Oh my, it’s hard to name them all. I have the opportunity to visit two new chapters, talk to classes, attend a dance, and even play in the legendary District X dodgeball tournament! I can’t wait!
· A: I have a wide range of visits from faculty breakfasts to chapter fun days.
· B: Amongst the usual celebrations, I will be making my way around to an after school BBQ, the Hope/Columbus FFA basketball game as well as snow tubing with Scottsburg FFA!
· M: I will be attending petting zoos, pancake breakfasts, movie nights, and two Greenhand Jacket Ceremonies. I will also have the opportunity to visit numerous ag classes along the way.
· C: The majority of events I will be participating in are community or staff appreciation breakfasts, as well as classroom activities. I will also be attending two weekend outings, a volleyball tournament, a convocation, and a community service project to a nursing home. That’s just to name a few!
· J: This coming week I am doing everything from classroom visits, appreciation breakfasts, Ag Olympics competitions, Ag days, basketball tournaments, dances, and a Fort Wayne Komets hockey game! I am excited to experience a new kind of FFA week from the viewpoint of FFA members in northern Indiana!
· S: I have everything from farmer appreciation breakfasts to chapter banquets. I look forward to having tons of fun both in and out of the classroom.
4) Check out which part of Indiana the State Officers will be in!
If you’re a past FFA member, we would encourage you to reach out to your home chapter and reconnect with FFA!
From the entire 2015-2016 Indiana FFA State Officer Team, have a wonderful National FFA Week full of celebrations and memories!