Tuesday, March 8, 2011

The Life and Times of Morgan Dawson during FFA week!

FFA Week – the best week-long holiday of the YEAR! This week, I am spending my time in the southwest corner of Indiana – District X! I took off on Monday morning with no idea of how much fun I was going to have and how much I was going to be impacted by the members and types of celebrations I have ran into!

Monday, February 21st:  Tecumseh FFA, Lynnville, IN – What a celebration they have going on there this week! I was able to present to about half of their Chapter during homeroom time after enjoying some pizza with them! We discussed opportunities – whether those be in FFA, in school, in our churches, and in our communities – that are available to us and just waiting for us to take! Our three points were being aware, knowing what’s available, and then taking action! Members were so willing and ready to get FFA Week rolling, and it was evident during the presentation! Their hospitality was incredible – they were so kind as to give me a Chapter t-shirt and a jar of honey! While I thought my week couldn’t get any better from there, I soon discovered I was wrong!

Tuesday, February 22nd:  Mt. Vernon @ Mt. Vernon FFA, Mt. Vernon, IN – Since I have become close with many of their members this year, I was very excited to visit their Chapter for the first time and during FFA Week! We enjoyed the same opportunities presentation as well as cupcakes for their Mr. Reese’s birthday, who is the Chapter Advisor! I also was introduced to their principal, who is a huge supporter of FFA! To promote FFA Week to their entire school, they decorated a display case with signs and other décor promoting “Infinite Potential,” which is our State theme this year and had a GIGANTIC sign attached to a wooden frame that had the dates of FFA Week and the theme on it! After presenting to the Chapter, two members and I went to the Mt. Vernon Kiwanis Meeting and Luncheon.  It was held at their Country Club and had all of the Kiwanis members there along with their “farmer” friends! I was honored and privileged to speak to the group about the future of agriculture, hitting on the points of youth, education, and technology! What a great time it was! Thank you, Mt. Vernon @ Mt. Vernon FFA, for a great morning and afternoon!
After visiting Mt. Vernon, I made my way over to the District X Dodge Ball Tournament held at Heritage Hills High School! District X is known for having many different kinds of sports tournaments between the Chapters in the District.  This dodge ball tournament had 17 teams, and Tecumseh FFA came out on top! It was wonderful to see members having fun and practicing healthy competition! Congrats to all who participated and enjoyed themselves!

Wednesday, February 23rd:  Gibson Southern FFA:  It was quite the sight going into Gibson Southern High School and seeing students in Official Dress – EVERYWHERE! I was so blessed to present to two wonderful classes who were not afraid to show what they are made of and do anything asked of them! Even though many of them were anxious and nervous about the District X Chapter Meeting that was going to be held later that evening, they still gave it their all! Congrats to Gibson Southern FFA for placing first in both the Novice and Senior Chapter Meeting CDE last night and advancing to the Section Contest in April!
Perry Central FFA: Children and farm animals = HILARIOUS! The Perry Central FFA held their annual Petting Zoo yesterday in their ag. shop for all preschool and elementary students to come visit every fifteen minutes! Some of the animals the children enjoyed were two dogs, llamas, sheep, cows, pigs, ducks, chickens, and a turkey! They students did a great job exhibiting the animals to the youngsters and letting them have a great time! After school, they had their first ever After School Bash, which turned out to be a great success! They grilled hamburgers and hotdogs and had a cornhole tournament! My partner and I won our first game, but then had to play advisor, Mr. Springer, and his partner! Needless to say, we lost after Mr. Springer put all four cornhole bags in the hole on one turn! Thank you, Perry Central FFA, for allowing me to truly celebrate FFA Week with you!

District X Chapter Meeting:  Parliamentary Procedure…a very scary thought to many! Last night, District X faced any fears of parli. they may have had and competed in the infamous Chapter Meeting CDE held at Boonville High School! In the Senior Division, Gibson Southern FFA finished first, followed by North Posey FFA, and then Mt. Vernon @ Mt. Vernon FFA for second and third! Gibson Southern FFA also took first in the Novice Division with North Posey coming in second place! Congrats to all participants!

Thursday, February 24th:  North Posey FFA:  One of my favorite things of State Office is all of GOOD FOOD we eat! After presenting to two classes this morning, my idea of “good food” was changed! Once again this year, North Posey FFA held their Pork Chop Lunch for all members, teachers, and a few others! The meal included a HUGE pork chop, a baked potato, cabbage, a roll, and drink! Never have I EVER had such a wonderful, delicious, melt-in-your-mouth pork chop…sorry, Mom! Ha! Thank you, North Posey FFA, for allowing me to be a part of your annual Pork Chop Lunch tradition!

While this week has flown and it’s already Thursday, it’s not going to slow down for me! Tonight, I am looking forward to attending the Posey County Farm Bureau Stockholders meeting, spending time with South Spencer FFA and Forest Park FFA tomorrow, and then wrapping it up with a steak dinner fundraiser for Give Hope held by Gibson Southern FFA on Saturday! I can only hope that everyone has had an FFA Week as wonderful as mine has been! While doing a lot of driving by myself, I have done much thinking about how FFA has impacted me and how I have no idea where I would without it…right now or in the future! So I ask you, what does FFA mean to you?! Think about it while enjoying the rest of the best week-long holiday there is, National FFA Week 2011!

No comments:

Post a Comment