Thursday, November 14, 2013

Enjoy the Ride

This morning, Kayla and I woke up early to go on a bike ride before our 9-5 PM office hours. With the time change that took effect last Sunday, after 5 PM it is just too dark to workout outside. After getting bored with doing YouTube video workouts in the middle of the living room, Kayla and I woke up a little earlier this morning, and by 7:30 AM we were on the road biking away. We left the Indiana FFA Leadership Center and rode our bikes around the block which totaled to be about 6.25 miles. It wasn’t until we hit the 3 mile marker as we were cruising down a hill that I realized how beautiful of a morning it was. I had never gone down the road we were taking and the leaves with the sun rising right over them was picturesque. Wow. Why hadn’t I realized how nice of a morning it was until then? 

Maybe because my mind was thinking about my to-do list or about my family back at home or maybe just because I was solely thinking about crossing the “finish line” back at the center and have completed my workout. Sometimes in life we need to slow down and enjoy the ride. It is inevitable that life will get hectic and many things will weigh down on our mind, but there is no written rule that says we are not allowed to enjoy this crazy ride. Every once in a while slow down, enjoy the ride, and appreciate what is right in front of you. Don’t let work consume your life, and if it begins to look like it is… go on a nice walk or bike ride and just enjoy the ride.
“Turn your face to the sun and all the shadows will fall behind you.” - Walt Whitman

Enjoying the Ride, 

Allie Abney
Indiana FFA State President
2013-2014

No comments:

Post a Comment