Tuesday, October 20, 2015

My Three Sisters

To my three sisters,

Those that know me pretty well are aware that I am the middle of three kids. Three boys to be more specific. Aside from the story my mom loves to tell about when we wrote “baby sister” on the grocery list, I’ve never had a sister.

When I opened up the envelope that contained my name, and the names of the six individuals who would become my teammates, I gained more than just a state office. I gained six new siblings.

Three brothers? That I could handle. It was obviously going to take some getting used to but I wasn’t worried. Three sisters? That’s another story altogether. Immediately all the jokes came pouring in from my family and friends that I’d have a big adjustment ahead of me learning to live with three girls.

Honestly? The biggest adjustment was learning to live with 6 other people. Really at the end of the day there weren’t many girl specific quirks that I had to accommodate for. However, I have learned a few things.

Girls are tough. Like, if you throw a pillow across the living room in response to one of them insulting you, you can fully expect revenge. In other words, you can fully expect to be mercilessly beaten with multiple pillows.

Girls take extra time to get ready. Like, a lot of extra time. So when they say they’re going to “change really quickly” give them, bare minimum ten minutes. That’s being polite. Don’t worry, you’ll eventually get where you need to go. So what if you’re late, at least you’re arriving in style.

Lastly, girls are actually pretty great to have around.

Scratch that,

Sisters are pretty great to have around. They give really good advice, and are also really good listeners. They’re stubborn, but it works to their advantage. At the end of the day, they’re there for you. That’s pretty dang important.

Also, they’re pretty good with a baseball bat when you think someone is hiding outside your house.

So, to my three sisters, thanks. Thanks for being you. I may not always say it, but at the end of the day I’m thinking it.

All the best,

Sean Harrington
2015-2016 State Treasurer

No comments:

Post a Comment