Monday, September 9, 2019

Falling in Silence

September brings one of my favorite seasons. It’s not football season or pumpkin spice season, but something much greater; hunting season. I have spent many long days in a tree stand, watched countless sunrises in a duck blind, and stood for many hours waiting on doves to fly by. But there’s one thing that always remains the same – it’s pretty boring! 

At least that’s what I used to think. 

I would bounce my legs around, sigh as loud as possible, and do my best to let my dad know I wanted to pack up and go home. I was never a fan of sitting and waiting around all day in the quiet. I was always wishing to be back at home playing video games or taking a nap. Somehow though, my dad never seemed to mind the quiet. I thought that defeated the purpose of hunting, seeing as we were supposed to be shooting guns, right? 

When it comes down to it, hunting was way more than that.

As I grew older, I found myself enjoying the quiet woods. Being able to look across the marsh as the world wakes up around me is always something magical. In no other hobbies are you blessed with the chance to spend hours with friends or family, with the only task being to pass the time. Some of my fondest memories are those of being on a hunt with my dad. The best days I’ve spent with friends were on a stool in the middle of a field waiting on doves. For those of us who are familiar with hunting or fishing, we know how precious those times in the field can be. 

As the leaves change and the fields are harvested let’s all remember that our fall activities are more important than we think. Every hour we spend in a field on a hunt; in the bleachers of a football game; or in the cab of a tractor we can be sure that they will become memories we will never forget.

Peaceful Minded, 


Nate Fairchild

No comments:

Post a Comment