Wednesday, May 12, 2021

Practically Imperfect in Every Way

If you’ve ever met me, you know that I strive for perfection in almost everything that I do. Some people have called me a perfectionist and they’re honestly not wrong. I thoroughly enjoy making sure that everything goes exactly as I want it to. I shoot for the moon with my grades, my achievements, and every little aspect of my life. I try and live my life by four P’s:


Polish


Poise


Professionalism


and...


Perfection


Let me let you in on a little cliche secret: perfect is overrated. If we get so caught up in striving for perfection, we miss out on the learning opportunities that come with failure. I’m not saying that I enjoy failure or that you should also enjoy it, but I am saying you should begin to appreciate the doors failure opens. An obsession with perfection also leads to an incredibly toxic mental state, where we constantly compare ourselves to others. We become so focused on the end result that we lose focus on the value of the process to get there. Following in the footsteps of our State Southern Region Vice President, let me provide you with a list of tips to come to terms with being perfectly imperfect.


  1. When you fail, admit it. Don’t try and make excuses for why you failed. 

    1. It’s important to note that this won’t feel too good when you first start this practice. Accepting failure little by little will eventually rewire the way your brain thinks and failure won’t rock your world as much. Admitting your failure will also help with your relationships! People don’t like a know-it-all and letting others in to help you is a great idea.

  2. Even when admitting you failed, don’t be too hard on yourself.

    1. If you beat yourself up for failing to reach perfection, you’ll never make any true progress. Be gentle with yourself, because growth can be a very fragile time period.

  3. Understand the difference between striving for excellence and perfection. This is crucial.

    1. There is a big difference between the two, so search it up! By definition, they’re two separate things and it’s okay to strive for excellence.

  4. Remember that everyone else does not have it together, as much as it may appear they do.

    1. I don’t have much to say on this, other than this is simply the truth.

  5. If you were perfect, you would be unrelatable. Your flaws make you human.

    1. Genuine human connection is important and perfect doesn’t facilitate that connection. If you had it all together, people wouldn’t be able to connect with you.

  6. Read this INCREDIBLE article: https://bellecommunication.com/perfect-sucks/


Practically Imperfect in Every Way,

Evan Coblentz

State Treasurer


No comments:

Post a Comment