Wednesday, August 12, 2020

Legacy

What will you be remembered for? Ask people this question and you’ll get many different answers. A few hope to be remembered for fame and fortune. Others hope to be remembered for living life to its fullest or leaving a positive impact on others. When asking myself this question, it took me some time to decide on my answer. What do I want people to remember about me? What kind of legacy do I want to leave for those that come after me?

For big life questions like this one… I look to my grandfather for inspiration. My grandfather has always been someone who inspires and encourages me to be my best every day. He is someone who works with every ounce of effort he has and can always be found with a smile on his face. Even on the most difficult of days, my grandfather is happy because he is living out his own legacy. In the 1960s, my grandfather served in the United States Army during the Vietnam War. Despite conflicted emotions and a divided nation, my grandfather felt the need to serve his country and those around him. When he returned from Vietnam, my grandfather continued this theme of service. He went to work for businesses that manufactured American goods that would be used by his fellow citizens. He got involved with his local community and helped out his neighbors. To this very day, my grandfather is still working five days a week doing what he loves: giving back to those around him. My grandfather will always be remembered for his dedication to serving others.


Thinking about my grandfather’s legacy has made me appreciate what I am dedicated to in life. One of the passions that I hold near and dear to my heart is environmental stewardship. From an early age, I have carried with me a love and appreciation for the natural world. Through this appreciation, I have made a personal commitment to be more environmentally responsible in my actions. I drive an electric vehicle, I volunteer in river clean-out projects, I recycle religiously, and I plan to get involved with renewable energy for my future career. Every step of the way, I have made environmental stewardship a personal mission of mine. For the rest of my life, I will remain dedicated to this mission as I continue to protect our environment. Long after I leave this earth, people will look back at my life and recognize this level of dedication. Just like my grandfather before me, I will always be remembered for remaining dedicated to my personal mission.


When someone asks what you’ll be remembered for, think about your legacy and what you will leave behind for future generations. Whether it’s something you are passionate about or a personal mission you have, your legacy can be defined by whatever you choose. Find your passion… dedicate yourself to it… and live your life fulfilling that mission. It really does make a difference.


Warm Wishes,

Derick Williams

Indiana FFA State Reporter


No comments:

Post a Comment