Wednesday, August 5, 2020

The Lessons Learned Outside the Classroom


Through extracurricular activities and community service, I have learned to always have an open mind and an open heart. We are often so quick to judge or make decisions based upon preconceived notions that either society or we have created ourselves. Outside of FFA, I am highly involved in theater. It’s hard to get more opposite than that. It’s a challenge, at times, being in two separate worlds but trying to make them work together. I have had to adapt and be open to anything and everything. While the people in these extracurriculars are different, they are all equally important and bring something completely new to the table. Every person also has the opportunity to grow me in some way. I see the world as one big classroom, and every person that walks into my life is a teacher. Whether they teach me new skills, further develop pre-existing skills, or create challenges I have to solve, they are there to help me grow. 
I have also learned that an outstanding leader is someone who can take charge of a situation in order to benefit those it affects. They are humble and desire that everyone’s needs be met. Leadership is something I am passionate about. The world needs better leaders with a genuine desire to serve. Leadership is sacrifice. True, genuine leadership is a willingness to sacrifice your needs so that others around you may grow. Every decision should be made with the impact it will have on others in mind. Leadership isn’t always easy, because it sometimes means taking blame upon yourself. Leadership is not about the fame or awards, it’s about seeing people grow and develop into the people they were made to be. Having a positive impact on someone is one of the greatest things in the world. 
Knowing these qualities of leadership is one thing, but putting them into action is another. Throughout my extracurricular experiences, I have had plenty of outlets to put my leadership into effect. Obviously, I have a passion for FFA and have had incredible opportunities for leadership through FFA. I am equally passionate about the performing arts, leading to my involvement in theatre and our local Thespian Troupe. Having the privilege of leading in two organizations I hold near and dear to my heart is such a rewarding and fulfilling achievement. Sharing my passion and love for agriculture and theatre with others and watching them develop the same passions has been a highlight of my high school career. Without opening my mind to the opportunities both of these organizations presented, I never would have learned some of these lessons or discovered these passions. Another valuable take away from my time out of the classroom is that our talents and natural abilities make us unique individuals. I have learned the value of having a positive role model and the importance of being a positive role model for others. A good leader leads by example in both word and deed. 


Leading with an open heart,
Evan Coblentz

No comments:

Post a Comment