Monday, December 29, 2014

Not Just a Break in the Gingerbread

            My holiday season is filled with something that I have not experienced in some length of time. Outside of traveling, Christmas parties, lots of food, and the other usual Christmas festivities; my life is full of little else. In fact, I sit now in a warm, cozy house in a padded seat unwinding as my day comes to a close.  This evening will be filled with a cup of hot coffee and perhaps a dish of some black raspberry ice cream. I will probably eat more than I’m hungry for and stay up later than I should. Regardless, I have no plan and in essence, I am taking a break.
           
I once received some advice to “just relax and be a kid for a little while.” After hearing this I was immediately filled with the perception that I must do nothing and have no agenda in order to relax and take a break. Today I realize that this is not the case. In fact, a break can look a lot of different ways to a lot of different people. For instance, being in a new location with little time constraints is a break for me. I have always been one to work often so taking a break from everything just isn’t something I find occurring often.
           
If I could impart any knowledge on you, it would be just that. Breaks look a lot of different ways to a lot of different people. This holiday season may be one that allows you to take some time off and get some good ‘ol R&R. Perhaps you’d rather spend every waking second with friends and family. Maybe you’d like to set the world record for attending the most holiday gatherings. Possibly you’re like me and have a healthy mix of all the above…family gatherings, hanging out with friends, rest, relaxation, and just a bit of work along the way. Whatever you need this holiday season, do not be afraid to get just a little of all of it.

I know that it is winter break, and it may seem as if you need to sleep in as late as possible, eat as much as possible, and do as little as possible. I also know that this may not be the case. Above both of these options, I know that this is a chance to relax. This may mean a lot of different things depending on who you ask so I encourage you to do this: find your own way of relaxing. Yep, that's it. It is incredibly simple when you really look at it. Find what makes you happy this holiday season and do it. More importantly than all, enjoy the time you have now…especially those in which you get to share it.

Good tidings to all,

Derek Berkshire
2014-2015 Indiana FFA
State Sentinel

No comments:

Post a Comment