Monday, February 6, 2023

YOLO

“You only live once.” A phrase often said by my younger sister before she made what I thought was a questionable decision. Growing up, Josie loved to try new things at full speed ahead, while her older sister was a lot more cautious… Josie got her back handspring in gymnastics, jumped into the deep end, and learned to drive all before I had even started my pro and con list. I was so jealous of her optimism, and angry at her little “yolo” before accomplishing something I had only thought about doing. Honestly even now, she dyed her hair blonde, made the cheer team, and is trying lacrosse for the first time with her “yolo” attitude, but my attitude has changed a little bit. Instead of anger and jealousy, I look at Josie with a lot more admiration and appreciation.


Josie helped change my outlook. While I saw the potential outcomes, Josie saw the possibilities. I saw failure, and Josie saw success. I thought “I only have one life,” while Josie believed “you only live once.” I also realized that her attitude had made me better. After seeing her get her back handspring in gymnastics, I did too. I watched her jump off the deep end and went in after her. And I saw her confidence driving, which helped me find it too. Her bravery influenced me to be brave also. 


While I don’t plan on being blonde or a lacrosse player anytime soon, I do try to have a little more of her “you only live once” attitude. She continues to teach me to be confident in trying new things, be brave, and to say no to fear. I think we can all focus a little more on the possibilities, success, and this chance we have to enjoy the life we have now. Thanks Jos :)


                        Yolo,

                             Jenna Kelsay

1 comment:

  1. You are growing up in many ways. You will find it takes all kinds of people to make the world go round. You need to know all of them and appreciate their attitudes. They make others think as you did but we still need detail people , like you Jenna, to watch for what may go wrong or has been left out. It takes all the different personalities to make a project complete. Love you, girl. Barb

    ReplyDelete