Wednesday, July 29, 2020

Eyes All Over




Do you ever think to yourself "Is someone watching me?" Personally, I find myself thinking this when I’m walking in the dark… creepy right? Oftentimes, these thoughts happen when we are doing something we know we probably shouldn't be doing, so we look around to see if someone is watching. Well, let’s look at this from a leadership standpoint. Ask yourself the question, "Are younger members watching what I do? Do my peers notice me doing this?" These are questions I wish I asked myself before I did something I wish others hadn't seen.



I was an irresponsible freshman who had no clue how my actions would affect my future. I goofed off in a professional space and others had seen my behavior. Because I had eyes on me, there was no escaping my bad behavior without consequences. This is when I learned if I wanted to be a leader or a role model in FFA I needed to do things with the attitude that someone was watching my actions. I’ll be the first to admit, the hardest part is to work hard and be responsible when no one is looking. It’s even harder to do considering all of the communication networks our world has today; however, it’s important we continue to act as if someone is watching at all times.

We live in a world where people are always connected regardless if it’s in person, on Snapchat, Facebook, Instagram, or Tik Tok. This comes with many risks. For example, whenever something is put on the internet, it’s there FOREVER. When you break the law in front of people, there are others who witness such activity and hold you accountable. When it comes to being a role model in FFA, it’s important to keep in mind there are eyes all over. To be a good leader you must lead by example. It isn't just younger members who look up to you, but it’s also your peers and older adults. Regardless if you’re a Chapter, District, or State Officer, there are always eyes on you. Some of these eyes will sit and wait for you to fail even when you think no one is looking. If you hold your head high and lead in a positive manner with the thought that other individuals are watching, you can ensure yourself that others will look at you in a positive way. The next time you ask yourself "Is someone watching my actions?" assume they are and be a positive influence!

Always looking out, 
Loren Matlock

No comments:

Post a Comment