Wednesday, January 27, 2021

Luc's Life in Three Recipes

I saw on Youtube that Sohla El-Waylly, a famous chef, did a video where she made three recipes that described her life story. Naturally, I want to do the same thing. So here it is: *insert drum roll sound* 


Luc’s Life in Three Recipes!


Biscuits and Gravy

This is the meal that made me realize I loved to cook. This dish was the first dish that I learned to make. In fact, I exclaimed to my parents that I was going to be a chef when I grew up. The only problem with this is that five year old Luc could only make biscuits and gravy, so that was going to be a pretty limited menu. But hey, maybe it can still happen. When I make this dish it takes me back to Saturday mornings as a kid and eating breakfast as a family. This wasn't something that we did often, so the nostalgia is real. Also, biscuits and gravy is probably the best breakfast food out there ,besides coffee, and you cannot change my mind. To me this recipe is my home kitchen: love, laughter, and unity. 


You can find the recipes I use here: 



Pasta al Limone with Homemade Noodles

Full disclosure, I make this recipe when I want to feel very “chefy.” If you want to feel “chefy,” this is the recipe for you. In my high school culinary arts class, one of our big units was learning how to make homemade pasta. I can’t speak for my classmates, but I loved this unit. I love the time and preparation that goes into making something that we often overlook. Don’t get me wrong, boxed pasta is great; but if you have the time, homemade pasta is worth it. To put it lightly, when I was first learning to make pasta and use the rolling machines I was a hot mess. In my frustrated rush to finish cleaning up the machine, which is a pain to clean by the way, I tried to run a dish rag through the machine. Needless to say, that didn't work. I got the rag stuck in the machine and had to cut it apart. Lesson learned: do not rush cleaning the pasta roller and new dish towels are always a good gift for a Culinary Arts teacher. To me, this recipe is about growing passions, trying new things, pushing yourself, and learning to fail. 


Here are some recipes to go off of:



National Convention Fried Chicken

When I asked my teammate, Evan, for ideas on what recipes to put in this blog, he said, “When I think of you cooking, I think of chaos. Controlled chaos that, in the end, turns out great.” As soon as he said that, I knew what recipe would fit that. Fried chicken. To sum up a long and painful story, our National Delegate, Megan Wagner, and I made dinner for the team during National Convention and decided to cook fried chicken. After long hours of marinating and frying chicken, we got to the last batch. Unfortunately, I hit the fryer basket with my elbow and sent hot oil down my arm. Was I burned? Yes, yes I was. Was the chicken good? Also yes. So here’s to controlled chaos, hopefully no burns, and fried chicken!


Please don't burn yourself:


Comfort food. Fancy, or “fancy-ish,” food. Good food. There's not much more you can really ask for, right? This is my life in three recipes. What about you? 



Probably in the kitchen,


Luc Sproles

State Sentinel


1 comment:

  1. What a great take on thinking about how food or recipes describe our life. Loved this article.

    ReplyDelete