Wednesday, July 24, 2024

Breaking Barriers and Building Relationships

There I was in the heart of South America, in the great Andes mountains, just outside of the highest capital city in the world, La Paz, Bolivia. At an elevation of 13,615 feet, more than twice that of Denver, I was lost…in a crowd of people. Not to be anticlimactic but I was looking around for my cousin, Cade, outside a church because I don’t know much Spanish and it was a little bit difficult to communicate with people. After finding Cade we made our way to my uncle when we stumbled into a man we will never forget. You see this was the fourth trip I had made to Bolivia, due to the fact that my uncle, aunt, and cousins lived there as missionaries making it an epic place to journey to. I had seen a lot in Bolivia through my first three trips but something I had never experienced was Easter there, which is the reason that I wound up where I was. 
    Now while we headed towards my uncle we came across a man who spoke to us in a native language that Cade couldn’t speak which led to an interesting conversation of trying to piece together the bits of Spanish and lots of laughter. This was undoubtedly the most entertaining conversation I can remember, especially with someone I just met. Later my uncle informed us that the man we had talked to was a well-known member of the congregation and that we could expect to see him more in the next few days. Every other time I made contact with him we waved and just started laughing, sometimes to the point where it was hard to breathe due to the altitude. I enjoyed every moment of seeing and greeting him despite not having a way to do much verbal communication. Those days I learned that the most exciting connections can be made no matter the barriers that may seem to be in the way.
    I will never forget that relationship I made when it seemed difficult to converse with anyone. With all this being said I encourage everyone to always be open to building new relationships no matter what the barriers there may seem to be, whether that be attempting to talk to someone who speaks an entirely different language in a foreign country or maybe a younger member in your FFA chapter that you think you have nothing in common with. You never know, breaking barriers and building relationships could lead you to unforgettable moments.

Break Barriers and Build Relationships,
Ethan Wolheter
Indiana FFA State President

5 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing a great lesson

    ReplyDelete
  2. I’m glad you shared this memory.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great story! A sense of humor can take you far.

    ReplyDelete