Wednesday, September 4, 2024

Life is a Highway

Cars, in my opinion, is one of the best movies ever. This movie describes my journey in FFA almost perfectly. Lightning McQueen is overconfident at first. You can especially see this during the first race of the film. Lightning McQueen had such a lead, but his overconfidence led to him tying the race instead of winning. I had the same mindset going into district officer interviews, overconfidence. Just like Lightning, I was disappointed in the result, as I had not been slated as a district officer. Now think about Lightning and how he got another setback in terms of having to stay in Radiator Springs. Instead of enjoying his time in Radiator Springs, all he could think about was getting out. I, just like Lightning, had another setback. This setback came at the 94th Indiana FFA State Convention, I wanted to become the Section III Director. I was dead set on being elected, just like Lightning was dead set on getting to his next race. When I didn't get elected, I was disappointed. I did not enjoy my time at the convention and see the support I had around me. Lightning’s mentor got him out of his rut just as my mentor, Mr. Dunn, helped me through the year. I spent my entire senior year feeling like an underdog, as I wasn't enough, just like how Lightning, as a rookie, would have been seen as an underdog against veterans like The King and Chick Hicks. In the final race of the film, Lightning might not win, but it shows that he is there to stay. In between the events of Cars and Cars 2, Lightning wins 4 Piston Cups. This was his victory and it to me can be compared to my victory of being elected as a state officer. Just like how Lightning’s journey was like a highway, with straightaways, curves, and turns, so was my journey in FFA. So if you ever feel like the underdog, just know that no matter what setbacks you experience, you can overcome them and still achieve your goals. Kachow, Garrett Bolin Indiana FFA State Sentinel



2 comments:

  1. Proud of your work GB! Be better everyday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I’m so proud of everything you have accomplished!!!! Prayers and love everyday bud!!! ❤️ Aunt Amie

    ReplyDelete