Wednesday, September 25, 2024

Changing of Seasons

        Every year the leaves start falling around the same time to signify that autumn is on its way. And every year my excitement for this season grows more than the last. With the change of seasons, there are pumpkins, warm sweaters, and a cool brisk breeze that always puts a smile on my face. This season never fails to disappoint. It is the perfect time for our annual fall ride.

        Fall break would roll around for my siblings and I so that meant only one thing. We would have to clean out the camper, get the horses ready, and start packing every bit of old clothes we could find. This was our tradition, going horse camping at Brown County State Park. My family and I would go out for several hours into the woods on horseback each day, then come back to the campground where we would always have the best meals over an open fire. I would be wrapped up in my flannel listening to all the stories the adults had to tell. Nothing else mattered when we were trapped in the woods with no cell service. 

My brothers and I would always argue about who was going to feed and water the horses each morning and night. I somehow got out of it most of the time. Although something would always go wrong while on this week-long trip, I sit back and remember how many memories I have made while being parked in a campground with my family and a couple of old horses. 

Now that it is time for the seasons to change again, the seasons of my family getting together have also changed. The excitement of fall break has dwindled, the chaos of getting everything ready to go camping is gone, and the feeling of all of us sitting around a campfire late at night telling stories is out of my sight. Our lives are like seasons, always changing with time. Sometimes it’s hard to let go of certain seasons in life, but how exciting is it to start a new one?


Changing seasons,


Kyatalin Baker

Indiana FFA State Treasurer


1 comment: