Wednesday, July 14, 2021

Only Child to 6 New Siblings


Only Child, 6 New Siblings


I grew up in a house with only my mom and me. After spending two weeks with the new team, I started to realize that the crazy had only begun. However, I would not trade these new experiences with built in brothers and sisters for the world. I thought I would include some funny, interesting things I have found out along the way.


Your closet is no longer “your closet”- As we were moving in, all four girls unloaded their bags removing loads of clothes. As I was unpacking my own, all of us made an agreement that our closets were free game. I had never shared clothes before so this was all new to me. I guess my closet size just multiplied by four.


Ordering family size is normal- One of our dinners during base camp was a trip to Buca di Beppo. I had never gone due to the smaller size of my family. As I watched Martin order three large family size entrees, I was shocked. I had no clue how we were going to eat all of it. However, I had to realize that I was no longer eating with one other family member but with eight other people that night.

Your comfort zone will be destroyed- One of the more interesting stories of the first week was trying out the rope swing. To be very honest, I was super scared. As the team started going off the rope one by one, I was still at the top wanting to avoid my turn. It came to the moment everyone had been waiting for. I went to grab on to the rope swing and it took me a good ten minutes before I would swing off. However, I did not let go my first time and instead swung right back onto the ground. It took a lot of encouragement for me to eventually go again and actually land in the water.


We all care about each other no matter what- As we have grown to know each other more this week, we have gotten to know all the nitty gritty about our pasts and why we are the person that you see today. Those personal moments are something I would not trade for the world. The State Officer Team truly is one large family. They are those people that you trust so soon that you wonder if you are crazy. It is a home despite not living in the one you grew up in for so many years.

Dear Kourtney, Nicholas, Tyler, Abby, Jordyn, and Jeremiah,

I am so thankful to be a part of this team with you all this year. I can already tell that we are going to grow so much through this experience and I am glad that I have the pleasure of doing it with you. You all have such kind hearts that have welcomed me in like the family I never knew I needed. The laughs and small moments make this team so special.

With Love,
Madisen Carns

No comments:

Post a Comment