Wednesday, August 4, 2021

Accepting Change

This past year, I was given the opportunity to give an address to my class before we walked
across the stage to receive our diplomas and graduate. In the past, this speech was centered
around a specific quote that shared the message the speaker wanted to send. So, I figured that
I would start by deciding on a quote, and work from there, but that didn’t quite work out in my
favor. Now, I’ve never really had a problem writing speeches, it’s always come pretty natural to
me; however, for some reason, as I was preparing to speak at my graduation, I simply couldn’t
put any words on paper. I was stuck.

Eventually, it got too close to time to dilly dally any longer – I had to decide on a quote and get
writing. I forced myself to sit at my computer to google “good quotes” and read until my eyes
couldn’t take it anymore. After a few sessions of quote hunting, I finally found the one I was
looking for. I began to cry as I read the words of this beautiful quote and realized how personal
it was to me and those I was graduating with.

“There comes a day when you realize turning the page is the best feeling in the world – because
you realize there is so much more to the book than the page you were stuck on."




After I read these words, I was set on using them as the basis for my speech on graduation day.
I took some time to sit down with a friend and my mom and brainstorm the different directions
I could take this speech, and finally, I settled on one. I quickly realized that I wasn’t just
addressing the members of my class, but also our parents, teachers, community members, and
most of all, myself. It was at that moment that it really set in that my life was about to change
drastically, and it was finally time to accept that change, take my life by the horns, and start
paving the direction I wanted my life to go. So, that’s exactly what I put in my speech.

As a graduating senior, I was terrified of not knowing what my life was going to look like in the
next year, next month, or even the next couple weeks. I was running for state office and didn’t
know if I would be moving away from home in June to be an officer or in August as I attended
college. I didn’t know whether to prepare myself for a year of service to Indiana FFA or for a
year of education at Purdue University. To say I was terrified, is an understatement. However,
as I was writing and giving my speech, I quickly realized just how much I had been dragging my
feet and avoiding the acceptance of change.

It was time. Time to love the experiences and opportunities I had in high school and get ready
for whatever was about to come my way. Time to appreciate the relationships I had formed
and begin building new ones. Time to learn from the hardships I had and prepare to risk my
time in new adventures.

Although change may be scary and could very well terrify you, I would encourage you to take a
look at where you are in life. Are you putting off change because you’re afraid? Are you waiting
for “just the right time” that will never come? What are you putting off? When you figure that
out, muster up as much courage as you can and face the change you’re embarking on. It may
just be the best decision of your life.

With love and confidence,
Abby


No comments:

Post a Comment