Wednesday, September 22, 2021

I’m Broken

I am broken. These are three words that I have truly realized over the past few weeks. I am broken. 

 

However, up until I got the courage to write this blog, I could only see my brokenness as a negative, as something to hide, as a hindrance on my everyday life. Then, a few days ago, I started listening to a podcast hosted by Sadie Robertson called “Woah, That’s Good”. In one of her recent episodes she, as well as her guest interviewee, discuss how they have learned to trust God with their brokenness. While I am Christian and connected deeply to the concept of trusting God in my broken state, there was another key idea I really felt I needed to hear, ponder, and most importantly share. 

 

Our brokenness is not negative. Our brokenness is not something to hide. Our brokenness is not a hindrance. Rather, our brokenness is a chance to grow, develop, and continue building upon where we currently are. It takes brokenness to create change and create progress. It takes realizing your brokenness to appreciate how far you’ve come. A few very impactful quotes and facts popped up as I was doing some research for this blog:

 

“God uses broken things. It takes broken soil to produce a crop, broken clouds to give rain, broken grain to give bread, broken bread to give strength. It is the broken alabaster box that gives forth perfume. It is Peter, weeping bitterly, who returns to greater power than ever.” – Vance Havner

 

“A seed has to crack and break to grow”

 

“In Japan, broken objects are often repaired with gold. The flaw is seen as a unique piece of the object’s history, which adds to its beauty.”

 

 

You see, oftentimes we may find ourselves broken down, truly questioning what we’re doing, where we’re going, and even how we do each of our actions. Sometimes we may be at a complete standstill, unsure of what to do or where to go next. If your me, you may be struggling with finding the passion to do what you want to do. 

 

Whatever brokenness you’re feeling isn’t permanent, it won’t last forever, and it doesn’t make you any less worthy. Your brokenness is a chance to appreciate where you are, where you have been, and where you’re going. Your brokenness is an opportunity to truly recognize your potential and begin growing. Your brokenness is a part of your unique history. Your brokenness is truly beautiful. 

 

Allow yourself to recognize your brokenness – to truly investigate yourself and where you are. Appreciate the beauty of your broken state and begin planning how you’ll let your brokenness fuel you to accomplish so much more. And finally, in a few weeks, a few months, or a few years, look back at your period of brokenness and smile at how far you’ve come. 

 

In a beautiful broken state, 

Abby Stuckwisch

2 comments: