Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Pride of Nations! (er... States)

The definition of a flag is “a piece of cloth, varying in size, shape, color, and design, usually attached at one edge to a staff or cord, and used as the symbol of a nation, state, or organization.” I would say this definition is mostly sufficient. With as much as this definition describes, one thing it fails to mention is the emotion that a flag can bring to a location and its citizen.

One of the duties of the Indiana Sentinel is to bear the flag throughout National Convention. I am honored to fulfill this duty. With this duty, I am able to participate in the Grand March before the first session and the presentation of the association flags at the Second General Session.

Sadly, with the recent weather developments, the Grand March was cancelled. But I was still able to march through the lobby of Conseco Fieldhouse touting the flag of Indiana! Tomorrow afternoon, I will be able to honor the Hoosier State even better. I get to present the flag on stage at the 84th National Convention! How neat is that? Think about it this way, I get to represent one of the 52 areas that the National FFA Organization covers. As the Secretary would say, “wherever corn is grown and FFA members meet.” But maybe even more awesome is the fact that this year, the FFA is focusing on the heritage of Native American tribes. Representatives of ten or so tribes will also display their flags at this year’s convention!

My favorite part of the whole process however, is that I get to represent my home, and the place I love; the Crossroads of America that are Indiana.
Figure 1. A diagram of the Indiana flag, for those who don't remember what it looks like.


No comments:

Post a Comment